Friday, March 20, 2009

Graduating to Solids

We've been giving Charlotte rice cereal for a couple of months now. Inconsistently, though, because I'm too lazy to make a bowl. It's much easier to nurse her on the spot. At her 6 month check up I confessed I wasn't feeding her solids as often as I was supposed to be & the pediatrician said it's mostly to help babies gain weight & Charlotte certainly wasn't having any trouble in that department, so not to worry. He said we should go ahead & start giving her stage one foods though.

Well, transitioning to solids has proven to be both challenging & annoying. Charlotte simply has no interest in eating solids! She refuses to open her mouth & either purses her lips or sticks her tongue out, making it difficult to shove the spoon in there. All she wants to do is play with the spoon & chew on the rubber covering. While it is adorable to watch her do this, I don't want to spend a half hour trying to feed her a little bit of food. Especially when my two year old is running amok or throwing his own food.

I'm sure it'll get better with time. Just gotta keep on keepin' on.

Rice Cereal attempt #8. This pic cracks me up.

She stole the spoon from me.

Charlotte, before trying carrots for the first time.
(She has more bibs. It's just a coincident that she's wearing the same one.)

Other than the whole not opening her mouth part, it went alright.

She's a spoon thief.

1 comment:

Maria said...

She's still litte, you can totally exclusively nurse her up to one year old with no adverse nutriotinal effects.

I wouldn't push solids if she doesn't seem interested.