Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Muzak for the Soul
(Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title...)

Lately I've been asking myself why I don't listen to secular music.  I remember why I started listening strictly to Christian music 8 years ago.  It was a pivotal moment in my life when the LORD was calling me out of all the crap I abandoned Him for (you know - sex, drugs, & rock n', er, techno, in my case) a couple years earlier.  All the secular music I was listening to at the time was a tangible reminder of what I had done to God when I turned my back on Him.  I don't think the music is inherently bad or evil, nor do I hold judgment against people who listen to secular music.  This was simply a personal choice in response to what God was doing in my life.  Eight years later though, I feel a little out of the loop in the music world.  Jason & I listen to a wide variety of music - praise/worship, rock, hardcore, indie, rap - but it all pretty much worships the LORD in one way or another.  There are a lot of awesome Christian artists out there, but generally speaking, the Christian music industry is infamous for producing the cheesiest of songs.  The pickin's are slim for real, good Christian music.  Secular music doesn't bother me, but personally, I'd rather stick with music I am certain is God-honoring.  It's what I most enjoy.

1 comment: