Monday, February 02, 2009

Just When I Started Thinking I Actually Looked My Age...

I was at the snack bar in Target today & had this conversation with an older lady as we were filling our drinks:

Lady: I thought that maybe you were just babysitting. [Smiles sweetly.]

Me: Oh, no [chuckling]. They're both mine.

Lady: Yes, I can tell by the way you look at them. You are so young.

Me: Well, I'm gonna be 27 in two weeks.

Lady: No you're not. Someone lied.

It's been a while since someone has said something like this to me, so I really appreciated it. I don't think 26 is old by a long shot -- heck, I don't even think my parents are old yet! -- but I always liked that people thought I was a teenager, fresh out of HS or possibly STILL in HS. The last time I was with my dad he indicated that I looked my age, so this exchange made me happy :)

4 comments:

Maria said...

I hate it because I think people assume that I was a teen Mother. When I was pregnant with Holden I used to get mean comments from strangers all the time--things like "Babies having babies, tsk, tsk."

I always wanted to shout at them.

Amanda said...

In cases like that, you should shout at them. I bet those same people who make snide comments about a pregnant teenager are also opinionated pro-lifers. So even if you were a pregnant teen, you're damned either way.

Amanda said...

P.S. For the record, I am not pro-abortion, even if that's how my comment came off.

Maria said...

Do you like how I said "shout at them"? Well at least if I look like I'm 17 I talk like I'm 82...