Monday, June 18, 2007

I’m not convicted enough to stop buying Starbucks coffee

So I went to Long Beach with a few fellow Lifers on Saturday – there were 7 of us in all (plus Solomon, so I guess it was actually 8). I feel I don’t really have much to report this time. I was deeply touched by those we came in contact with. My heart broke for these people & I was so grateful to have an opportunity to reach out to them. We walked along this river, on a bike path, & it’s so crazy because there are SO many homeless people living here & all day long non-homeless people are riding bicycles back & forth, not even giving a second glance to the residents. Boy did we catch some attention though. Most of the bikers riding by would go right past us, jerk their heads back so they can watch us, all the while still moving forward & never slowing down. A few of these inhabitants are simply mentally unstable; some were heavy drug users; others were just “stuck” there due to poor living & financial situations.

One lady we met, “Shorty,” spent the most time with us. She shared how she got stuck living there – she & her boyfriend/husband split up so she had to move out. She had a job & a home, but living in Southern California is really expensive, so it isn’t hard to fall behind your bills & lose everything when you’re on your own. (Especially when you don't have equal opportunities that, say, a middle class white girl has.) The two of them have 3 children together, but since she could’t support them & ended up living on the streets, she hasn’t seen them in a very long time. She told us she talked to her daughter on her birthday & she asked her daughter what she wanted. She told Shorty that what she wanted could’t be put in the mail; she just wants her mommy to come home & take care of her. She was very emotional when telling her story. Who can blame her? I was even feeling a little guilty for having my child with us as he could be a reminder to her of what she’s lost. Shorty told us that she used to be on dope but she hasn’t used in a long time. Her current boyfriend, James, along with her brother, Jesse (who are also homeless), are now in jail because they were wrongfully accused of robbery. It was reported that a couple of Hispanics just robbed a home & the two of them were looking for food in a nearby dumpster. Some police found them in the vicinity & saw that they were two Hispanic males so they took them into custody. So now Shorty is literally by herself on the streets. We asked her if we could pray for her so we gathered around, placed our hands on her, & prayed for her for quite a while.

The people who live along the river are very resourceful. They can seriously build homes out of trash – totally pimped out & everything, no joke! I wasn’t able to see the ones that were pimped out because we had to climb down these rocks, down to the water, but since I had the stroller, I stayed on the bike path. Jason told me about these homes, so it’s trust worthy second-hand information. One guy actually took wood & built a house against the cement wall, for him & his wife.

I was moved by the people we met & am excited to make this a regular part of my life. I still don’t feel convicted about drinking SBUX coffee everyday, though. God has blessed me immensely with my job, my family, & finances. I guess since we stretch ourselves to give financially on a regular basis, I don’t feel bad about enjoying one pleasure each day. Maybe I could give up coffee & give the money I save to someone who needs it more, but I think what would be more challenging, & more sacrificial for me, is to give up my time & energy. Anyone can write a check. But there’s a bigger calling here, which is what I feel God leading me into. I need to physically be the hands & feet of Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Im glad you are listening to the call your feeling led to. P.S. I love your honesty in the other blogs. I didnt know you had so much spice in you.