Monday, June 11, 2007

When did we become so lame?



Last Wednesday Jason & I went to see my favorite band, mewithoutYou. I was really excited to see them again, but at the same time, I was dreading driving all the way to Pomona & being around kids who were nearly 10 years younger than me. I barely look old enough to drive, myself. Maybe that's why I dislike hanging around kids who really are barely old enough to drive. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind looking so young. I just don't want people to think I really am that young. Maybe I'll sing a different tune 10 years from now. Who knows?



Anyway, on the way to the show I turned & asked Jason, "When did we become so lame?" I used to LOVE going to shows & seeing different bands perform. Now, I hate being in crowds. I'd rather stay in the comforts of my home & watch Court TV or TBS all evening. Now, I hate staying up past 10 o'clock. I get up at 5 every morning to get Solomon & myself ready for daycare & work. Now, as I mentioned above, I hate hanging around teenagers. It wasn't really that long ago when I was one myself. Now, Jason & I are tired all the time. We're too young to feel this way!



I feel like I'm in a weird place in life. You know? I'm still really young, but I'm too old for the "childish" things I love to do. I guess by marrying & having children early in life you forfeit those freedoms (that is NOT a complaint, by the way). A good example of this issue, that validates my feelings, is our church's college group. They categorize the college age group as "18 - 26 year olds." Jason & I have been in that category since we moved out here 3 years ago, but we've never felt a part of that group. Being married & having a kid greatly widens the gap between you & your single peers. We've been very fortunate with our close friends; the fact that we're married with a child doesn't hinder those relationships much. We just don't go out much anymore. Like I said though, we're lame.

No comments: