Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Trapped

When we moved here 4 years ago we adopted 2 cats, Gabe & Lucy. It was wonderful until we had a baby 2 years later. Then suddenly the fur started bothering me, Lucy started annoying me (she's an attention whore so she doesn't leave me alone; she sleeps on my head if we let her in our room at night), & the litter pans became unbearable. Now that we are moving in less than a year & have another baby due in 8 weeks, we are desperately trying to find new homes for them. We really don't want to take them back to a shelter so I've posted ads on craigslist.org, our church's online classifieds page as well as fliers in our housing area. Gabe & Lucy are already really old for cats (14 & 13 years old) & I know most people prefer younger cats so I don't have high hopes in finding them new homes. I keep trying to come to terms with the fact that we won't have any other choice than taking them to a shelter, which makes me cry about once a week.

Then last night Jason decided that we need to keep them; we made a commitment when we adopted them & we must stick to it. The problem is, we can't keep them when we move. We will be moving in with my parents temporarily until we find a home of our own & my mom is deathly allergic to cats. Even when we do have our own house, we still can't really have cats because then my mom would never be able to come over! I like my mom slightly more than I like my cats so, as heartbreaking as it is, the decision is simple for me -- it's off to the shelter with them.

Is it wrong of me to ask God to take care of them for me? I mean, they are old & not in the best of health - Gabe's obese & Lucy vomits chronically. Natural causes would make everything so much easier...

No comments: