Monday, August 11, 2008

Owies & Boo-boos

We took Solomon to get his 2 year immunizations today. Because today was the first time he's been seen since he's been on Medi-Cal, the insurance stuff was a total nightmare! It's such a long story I don't really want to write about it, but just know that we had to drive to freaking Huntington Beach twice AFTER we had already driven to Newport Beach (which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for freeway traffic) AND I spent the entire morning on the phone with doctors' offices & the insurance company. Jason intended to only take the morning off but ended up staying home all day because of the whole mess. We were eventually able to get his check-up stuff done so I at least won't have to worry about his doctor visits until next year (unless he gets sick, God forbid).

So the first thing the nurse did was draw blood from his toe. Not so much as a flinch. Amazing. He cooperated during all of the measurements & everything! He did give the doctor a bit of squirmy trouble when she tried to check his eyes, ears, & teeth but beyond that he was perfect.

Then came the immunization. I wanted to cry.

I sat there watching my husband & the nurse pin him down on the bed as she stuck him in his outer thigh. He thrashed & screamed but I couldn't do anything about it! After it was done he reached out to Daddy for comfort, of course, then the nurse gave him a big orange balloon, causing him to forget about the whole incident. It only lasted for about 10 seconds but it was torture for me!

After that they sent us to a lab so he could have MORE blood drawn for lead testing. Ugh! If he behaved that way during a quick prick, how the heck are they going to draw blood from his arm?? I was pretty panicky when they called us back; the guy taking Solomon's blood was big & rough n' tough looking so I was worried he wouldn't be gentle. Solomon sat in Jason's lap while Jason distracted him with a Sharpie. Every time Solomon would look to see what the phlebotomist was doing Jason would grab his little face & say, "No, look over here!" Solomon didn't even notice the guy had stuck him with a needle! He sat still for the entire minute! I can barely do that myself!!

My little boy is such a trooper. I think his doctor appointments are more traumatic for me than for him.

No comments: