Friday, July 20, 2007

Apparently I'm not entitled to sick days at work.

On my way to drop Solomon off at daycare this morning, & we were nearly there, I suddenly got a whiff of a very foul aroma. It was beyond a dirty diaper. It was an explosive defecation. How could something so massive & rancid come from such a little person?? I would venture to say that this was the worst diaper I've ever had to change. When we arrived at the daycare, I took Solomon into the classroom & changed not only his diaper, but his entire outfit. He was only in those clothes for a half hour! Anyone who has a child in daycare knows that children are not permitted to stay if they: a) have a fever; b) have diarrhea; c) have a rash; d) are vomiting; or e) any combination of a-d. Nor are they allowed to go back until they've been symptom-free for 24 hours. So I loaded Solomon & his things back into the car & called my boss to let her know I wouldn't make it to work today. She didn't answer her phone so I left a message. Company policy states that when you call out you must physically talk to your supervisor; a voice message will not suffice. Thus, I called my sort-of-supervisor. (She is in the same position as I am, but a level above me, & next in line if my boss is unavailable.) I explained that Solomon had to stay home today & that I couldn't make it to work. Then she asked, "Have you talked to your husband? Is he able to stay home today?" WTF? He has a job too, ya' know. "Yes, & he really needs to go into work today. I already discussed it with him & since he's stayed home the past 2 or 3 times Solomon's been sick, it is my turn." I probably would've brushed off her questions if they didn't arise each time I've had to call out (which isn't that often - the last time I called out was 4 or 5 months ago). Work is a Catch-22 for me - I have to work to provide for my family, therefore work is very important. Without it, we couldn't survive. Especially in SoCal. My family absolutely comes first, but in order to keep my family first, my job must come first.

1 comment:

Maria said...

That sucks. Boo for shitty bosses.