Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Grief & Relief

My mother-in-law's sister, Sandy, lost her battle with cancer yesterday evening. She's been sick for several years; she was diagnosed with colon cancer before Jason & I even got married. I am very attached to my mother-in-law's family & love Sandy very much. I felt really weird when Jason called to tell me. I felt a combination of grief & relief. I didn't cry much over her loss. I suppose because I saw her on Sunday &, knowing it would be the last time I'd see her, was able to say good-bye, bringing me closure. I'm grateful she isn't suffering any longer & find comfort in knowing she is with Christ now. Jason & I decided it isn't feasible for us to turn right back around & fly to Maryland again for the funeral. I looked at air fare last night & couldn't find anything less than $400 - that would be $1000 + for us to fly back home. My bereavement at work doesn't cover extended family & I'd only be allowed to take 2 unpaid days. So in addition to paying all that money in air fare I wouldn't be making any money. I think I'm still going to try to convince Jason to go; he should at least be there for his mom.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I've not been able to get to the phone lately. I know you probably need to talk. I'll call you around your lunch break tomorrow.