Friday, July 27, 2007

Happy Birthday Holden!!

Today Holden turned 3. I remember the day he was born pretty vividly. I wanted to be there for Holden's debut & demanded that Maria & Chad call me when she went into labor, so they did. In the wee hours of Tuesday morning on July 27, 2004. My phone started ringing & before we even looked to see who it was calling at such an absurd time Jason said, "Answer it - Maria's having the baby." "Okay," I replied, & opened my phone.

ME: Hello? [in the groggiest of voice imaginable]
CHAD: The baby's comin'.
ME: Okay.
CHAD: [chuckling a bit] You wanna go back to sleep?
ME: Yes.

Click. And just like that, I missed the birth.

I did make it to your Grammy's house later that day to see you. You were such a beautiful baby! I'm just relieved you decided to come out before Uncle Jason & I left for California. Holden, I honestly did want to be there for your birth & I'm terribly sorry I missed it. It's difficult to separate me from sleep - just ask Uncle Jason! Know that we love you very much & wish we could be around more to watch you grow. Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Holden Loves you too, he misses you when you're not here--but he understands that SoCal is way better than MD any day!