Monday, August 13, 2007

This simple but convicting thought, that I've never considered before, crossed my mind recently: by me not acting as a servant at all times is the same as saying I am above Christ. Christ was the ultimate example of a perfect servant. He even said Himself that He came to serve, not to be served. He was interruptable; He would stop whatever He was doing to aid another brother in need.

Who am I to feel so entitled that I should be served & never take the time or energy to serve others? I see this attitude of entitlement in my daily life. I feel that I should never be wronged & that I should be considered & respected. Funny how I expect that from other imperfect human beings yet I don't pay the same homage to my Creator, the only One truly worthy of such admiration.

One of my favorite mewithoutYou songs (January 1979, which I've quoted before) says, "If I could become the servant of all; no lower place to fall." I love that line. If I could become the servant of all, then I would never have these false feelings of entitlement. I would place everyone above myself & my desires. Not to say that my desires are wrong to have; God places desires in our hearts Himself. It is just necessary that I consider others' desires over my own. I think if I could achieve this, then I would be disappointed far less. I would be filled with a greater Love for others. I would be a better example of Christ.

No comments: