Saturday, August 18, 2007

Though It Was Fun, I'll Never Do It Again

It was pretty cool being at the Price Is Right set. It was even cooler not being at work & still getting paid.

First I stopped at my work to pick up my co-worker Ellen & from there we dropped Solomon off at daycare (the place doesn't open until 6:30am, so I couldn't take him before hand). Ellen & I drove about a half an hour north to Bellflower to pick up Norm & Maria. Maria had the pleasure of driving the rest of the way to LA - thank God.

We arrived sometime between 8:30 - 8:45am & stood around outside while the rest of our group slowly trickled in. We had a bunch of plastic horn rimmed glasses (like Drew Carey's) which Maria & I picked up at a costume store, courtesy of the VIP of Sales at our company, that were handed out to everyone. Unfortunately, they wouldn't allow us to wear them into the studio (Ellen only had hers on the top of her head, sort of serving the purpose of a headband, & they made her take them off). Party poopers.

Then we had to sit on metal benches & they handed out these cards to fill out with numbers on them. We had to stay in this order for the remainder of our visit.

Five grueling hours later, all of which were spent sitting in the heat (& even a good amount of humidity in the air, as surprising as it may sound), they led us into the glorious studio. Alternating curtains in pink, blue, orange, yellow, & green were covering the walls, adorned with these retro-style floral chain-like objects. Each plastic (or cardboard - it's hard to tell just by looking at them) flowery shape had a light bulb at it's center. We were instantly warped back in time to the 70's. The studio was much smaller than it looks on TV. I remember watching it growing up & it always looked so massive.

Finally the show began. There was sooo much clapping; near the end of the show I had to stop because my hands were stinging & sore from clapping for almost an entire hour. They make you clap for everything!

One guy from our group got called up there & managed to win a camping set & a picnic set. He didn't make it to the Showcase, but not too shabby. You don't have to take the prizes; you can opt for the cash value so if you don't want the crap you win, you can just take the money.

On the way out you have to give your little ticket stubs to the employees to retrieve your phones & other electronics. It was the most chaotic system I'd ever seen. You would think that CBS could think of a better method of distributing out phones. You hand them your ticket & they literally dig through a plastic bin of nearly 100 phones to find the matching ticket, which was earlier attached to your phone with a rubber band, prior to going in. All the while, the very large employee is wiping the sweat off of his face with his bare hands in between handing out phones. Gross.

Now I can tell people I've been to the Price Is Right, but I never want to go through that again.

1 comment:

Dani said...

I can't believe they wouldn't let you wear the glasses! I'm back on blog spot for now, just wanted to let you know.