Sunday, October 12, 2008

Today Must Be Punishment For Having Grown-up Fun Yesterday

Yesterday was so much fun! It's been a while since I've been able to go out & enjoy a party (& booze) child-free. It was our friend Dave's birthday & we were celebrating his 31st & his friend Claire's 29th -- it was a "Not-So-Average, Average 30th Birthday Party." The day started with 12 of us taking a dinghy around the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach, enjoying homemade pomegranate sangria, homemade hummus & great people having great conversation (topics ranging from t.v. shows to travel to breastfeeding, which is funny to me seeing as how I was the only person there who has ever breastfed). After the boat ride we went to Claire & her husband's house for dinner where more people joined the party. A lot of Rock Band was played, which was cool; Jason & I had never seen or played it before. Jason absolutely LOVED it! I'd like to get it for him for his birthday, but probably shouldn't because it's pretty pricey.

While we were there I met another mom (we actually met 2 years earlier, while we were both pregnant with our first children), Amy. Our older children were born two months apart & her second child was born 2 days after Charlie. We talked sooo much; it was fantastic talking to someone who totally related to me. I really need that conversation! She gave me her contact info so we could get together & have play dates for the children, & grown-up time for us!

So on to my nightmare that is today: BOTH children were up A LOT in the middle of the night. I actually had to go sleep in Solomon's bed with him because he wouldn't stay there. Then I had to get up early & take Jason to the John Wayne airport at 7am, come home, & take my mom to the Long Beach airport an hour later. On the way home Solomon started whining & saying "owie!" I thought it was due to the sun shining right in his eyes, but then he hiccupped & burped at the same time which sounded really liquidy. I was terrified he was going to barf in the car. He eventually fell asleep & woke up when we got home. Perfect. Enough of a nap to interfere with his regular nap. Since he was so tired he had tantrum after tantrum. I thought I was going to pull my hair out. When I finally got him down for a nap, I ate my lunch & had planned to go take a nap. But Charlie wouldn't let me. By the time she did let me go to sleep Solomon woke up 10 minutes later. All afternoon, Solomon was cranky. I tried taking him to the playground but he just wanted to run away, so I brought him back home & we were stuck in the house the rest of the day. Both kids were screaming & crying throughout the evening. When I put Solomon down for the night, he kept getting out of bed. After nearly two hours of this I called Jason, literally crying because I couldn't take it anymore. Of course he couldn't do anything about it but I needed someone! Solomon finally went to sleep 3 hours into our head-to-head battle. How can the boy I love the most in the whole world be the same one that makes me want to run away from home??

3 comments:

Dani said...

Where'd Jason go? I'm so happy you found someone to have play dates with that you can really relate to! PTL!

Amanda said...

He went to Berkley for work. He's back now though, it was just an overnight thing.

unclechopchop said...

Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine. Have you ever considered adoption? Just kidding!